June 09, 2007

It's Valentine's Day in Brazil

While in most countries Valentine's Day is on Feb. 14, Brazilians celebrate the date on June 12. Here is a beautiful love poem, "My love is like a red, red rose", written by the Scottish poet Robert Burns and sung here by the Rollins Concert Choir. The words you see below are from the original poem. If you would like to read a version in standard modern English, click here. In the song, the order of the lines in verses 3 and 4 has been altered slightly. Happy Valentine's Day!



1. O, my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

2. As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I,
And I will luve thee still, my Dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

3. Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun!
O I will luve thee still, my Dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

4. And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile!

2 comments:

mari said...

Really beautiful. I loved the poem and the singing.

Mônica said...

Hi Marisa, good to 'read' you here! Yes, it's a lovely poem... and the choir is just fantastic!
Hugs!